Evansville @ Valparaiso
Regular Season Records: Evansville 6-23; Valparaiso 13-17
What to Know
The Valparaiso Beacons and the Evansville Aces are set to clash at 9:30 p.m. ET March 3 at Enterprise Center in the first round of the Missouri Valley Conference Tourney. Given that both teams suffered a loss in their last game, they both have a little extra motivation heading into this contest.
The oddsmakers predicted a rough matchup for Valpo on Saturday, and boy were they were right. Their painful 79-55 loss to the Bradley Braves might stick with them for a while. Guard Kevion Taylor (16 points) and guard Kobe King (16 points) were the top scorers for the Beacons.
Meanwhile, Evansville came up short against the Missouri State Bears on Saturday, falling 88-79. Despite the defeat, the Aces got a solid performance out of guard Noah Frederking, who had 17 points along with nine rebounds. Frederking had some trouble finding his footing against the Loyola Chicago Ramblers last week, so this was a step in the right direction.
Valpo is the favorite in this one, with an expected 6-point margin of victory. Those playing the odds have seen things go back and forth with Valpo, who are 14-14 against the spread.
A pair of defensive stats to keep in the back of your head while watching: Valpo has allowed their opponents to shoot 45.70% from the floor on average, which is the 46th highest shooting percentage allowed in college basketball. The Aces have experienced some struggles of their own as they have allowed their opponents to shoot 49.30% from the floor on average, which is the 357th highest shooting percentage allowed in college basketball. The good news? The teams might be seeing more of their shots fall.
How To Watch
- When: Thursday at 9:30 p.m. ET
- Where: Enterprise Center -- St. Louis, Missouri
- Online streaming: fuboTV (Try for free. Regional restrictions may apply.)
- Follow: CBS Sports App
The Beacons are a solid 6-point favorite against the Aces, according to the latest college basketball odds.
The oddsmakers had a good feel for the line for this one, as the game opened with the Beacons as a 5-point favorite.
Evansville have won six out of their last 11 games against Valparaiso.
- Feb 21, 2022 - Valparaiso 74 vs. Evansville 69
- Feb 19, 2022 - Valparaiso 72 vs. Evansville 56
- Feb 01, 2021 - Evansville 58 vs. Valparaiso 51
- Jan 31, 2021 - Evansville 70 vs. Valparaiso 52
- Mar 05, 2020 - Valparaiso 58 vs. Evansville 55
- Jan 26, 2020 - Valparaiso 67 vs. Evansville 65
- Jan 04, 2020 - Valparaiso 81 vs. Evansville 79
- Mar 02, 2019 - Evansville 65 vs. Valparaiso 63
- Feb 02, 2019 - Evansville 64 vs. Valparaiso 53
- Feb 07, 2018 - Evansville 63 vs. Valparaiso 59
- Jan 24, 2018 - Evansville 75 vs. Valparaiso 65
Injury Report for Valparaiso
- Thomas Kithier: Game-Time Decision (Undisclosed)
- Keyondre Young: Game-Time Decision (Hand)
- Trevor Anderson: Out for the Season (Back)
Injury Report for Evansville
- Jawaun Newton: Game-Time Decision (Undisclosed)