Pepperdine @ Brigham Young
Current Records: Pepperdine 7-23; Brigham Young 20-9
What to Know
The Pepperdine Waves are 3-10 against the Brigham Young Cougars since January of 2016, but they'll have a chance to close the gap a little bit this past Saturday. Pepperdine and BYU will face off in a West Coast battle at 8 p.m. ET at Marriott Center. The Cougars will be strutting in after a win while the Waves will be stumbling in from a defeat.
Pepperdine received a tough blow this past Thursday as they fell 89-73 to the Santa Clara Broncos. The losing side was boosted by guard Houston Mallette, who had 24 points.
Meanwhile, BYU took their contest against the Loyola Marymount Lions this past Thursday by a conclusive 79-59 score. BYU got double-digit scores from four players: guard Te'Jon Lucas (14), forward Caleb Lohner (13), forward Gideon George (12), and forward Fousseyni Traore (12). Te'Jon Lucas' performance made up for a slower game against the Saint Mary's Gaels two weeks ago.
The Waves have to know they'll be fighting an uphill battle given the 16.50 point spread they are up against. The smart bettors have been the ones to keep their money on Pepperdine's opponents whenever they hit the road.
Pepperdine is now 7-23 while the Cougars sit at 20-9. Two stats to keep in the back of your head while watching: Pepperdine is stumbling into the matchup with the 17th most turnovers per game in college basketball, having accrued 15 on average. BYU has experienced some struggles of their own as they are 32nd worst in college basketball in takeaways, with only 11 on average. It's possible one of these Achilles' heels will wind up tripping the losing team up.
How To Watch
- When: Saturday at 8 p.m. ET
- Where: Marriott Center -- Provo, Utah
- TV: ESPN University
- Online streaming: fuboTV (Try for free. Regional restrictions may apply.)
- Follow: CBS Sports App
- Ticket Cost: $6.00
The Cougars are a big 16.5-point favorite against the Waves, according to the latest college basketball odds.
The oddsmakers were right in line with the betting community on this one, as the game opened as a 16.5-point spread, and stayed right there.
Brigham Young have won ten out of their last 13 games against Pepperdine.
- Feb 12, 2022 - Brigham Young 91 vs. Pepperdine 85
- Mar 08, 2021 - Brigham Young 82 vs. Pepperdine 77
- Jan 27, 2021 - Pepperdine 76 vs. Brigham Young 73
- Jan 23, 2021 - Brigham Young 65 vs. Pepperdine 54
- Feb 29, 2020 - Brigham Young 81 vs. Pepperdine 64
- Jan 30, 2020 - Brigham Young 107 vs. Pepperdine 80
- Jan 17, 2019 - Brigham Young 87 vs. Pepperdine 76
- Feb 15, 2018 - Brigham Young 75 vs. Pepperdine 70
- Jan 11, 2018 - Brigham Young 83 vs. Pepperdine 63
- Feb 09, 2017 - Pepperdine 99 vs. Brigham Young 83
- Jan 19, 2017 - Brigham Young 99 vs. Pepperdine 70
- Jan 30, 2016 - Brigham Young 88 vs. Pepperdine 77
- Jan 23, 2016 - Pepperdine 71 vs. Brigham Young 65
Injury Report for Brigham Young
- Seneca Knight: Game-Time Decision (Thumb)
- Richard Harward: Out for the Season (Illness)
- Gavin Baxter: Out for the Season (Knee)