Major League Baseball's offseason is here, and with it comes a delightful daily heaping of rumors, news, and notes. Below, you can find all of the most notable to surface on Wednesday.
Red Sox make new offers to Bogaerts, Devers
The Red Sox have made two new contract offers to Xander Bogaerts and one new offer to Rafael Devers since the end of the World Series, team president Sam Kennedy told the Boston Globe at the owners' meetings Wednesday. Terms of the offers are unknown. Bogaerts is a free agent after opting out of his contract, while Devers is scheduled to become a free agent next offseason.
"We've been engaged with Xander since the end of this season, and Scott (Boras), his agent, and I'll leave it at that," Kennedy said. "But we've had productive conversations."
Kennedy also acknowledged the Red Sox "could have engaged more effectively" with Mookie Betts earlier in his career. Betts rejected several below-market extension offers during his time with the Red Sox and was eventually traded to the Dodgers a year prior to free agency. Despite that, the Red Sox let it get to the point where Bogaerts opted out of his deal, and Devers is within a year away from free agency.
The Seattle Mariners according to MLB Network's Jon Morosi.Teoscar Hernández in a three-player trade on Wednesday, but that doesn't mean they're done adding to their collection. Rather, the Mariners continue to see outfield additions,
The Mariners currently have Hernández and Rookie of the Year Award winner Julio Rodríguez entrenched in their outfield. They're expected to trade Jesse Winker this winter, and presumably desire an upgrade over Jarred Kelenic and some of their other internal candidates. (The oft-injured Mitch Haniger is a free agent.)
It's unclear who, precisely, the Mariners are eyeing in free agency, but earlier this winter they were connected to top center-field option Brandon Nimmo.
Funny enough, the Blue Jays were also linked to Nimmo on Wednesday after trading away Hernández and opening a spot in their outfield. Toronto has long been looking for a left-handed bat to help balance its lineup.
Blue Jays executive Ross Atkins acknowledged that incumbent center fielder George Springer would be open to changing positions, should Toronto have the opportunity to add a full-time center fielder to the mix:
#BlueJays GM Ross Atkins on the concept of George Springer moving to right field next season:— Ethan Diamandas (@EthanDiamandas) November 16, 2022
"If that does present itself, where there's an everyday center fielder that we can add, [and] it makes our team better, I know George will be open to [moving to RF]."
Padres bring back Martinez
The Padres have agreed to a new three-year deal with free-agent right-hander Nick Martinez worth $26 million, . Martinez had opted out of the remaining three years and $18 million on his old contract, meaning that he received a raise here.
Martinez was ranked by CBS Sports as the 44th best free agent on the market.:
It would be cheating to write that Martinez looked different from when we last saw him (he spent four seasons in Japan, after all) but it's true. New team. New haircut. New number. New pitcher. He scrapped his over-the-head windup in favor of a Clevingerian rocker step, and shortened his arm action so that his hand arc barely dips below his beltline, not his midthigh. In one respect, though, he remained the same: an unclear role. Martinez started the season in the rotation and spent the rest of the year in the bullpen, becoming one of two pitchers to record five-plus starts and saves (Garrett Whitlock being the other). Martinez has a varied arsenal that is good enough to elicit chases and suppress quality contact, but not loud enough to rack up huge strikeout totals. (Even in relief, he averaged only eight K's per nine innings.) Of course, it takes just one team to view him as a starter for him to then be paid like a starter.
Martinez joins Robert Suarez as relievers the Padres have re-signed this winter.