UFC 289 is in the books and it was not without some drama. But that drama came on the emotional side of the spectrum when two-division champion Amanda Nunes decided to lay down the gloves and call it a career after a dominant win over Irene Aldana.
Nunes outclassed her latest opponent in the bantamweight division as she cruised to a unanimous decision over the Mexican challenger. In the aftermath, Nunes laid down both titles and her gloves to announce her retirement. She walks away as the most decorated champion in UFC women's history boasting an incredible resume that features every person to hold a title in the bantamweight or featherweight divisions.
Elsewhere on the card, Charles Oliveira reminded everyone why he's a former champion and rising challenger once more. Oliveira took out Beneil Dariush in the opening round of their co-main event to secure his rematch with Islam Makhachev, who took the lightweight title off of him. Oliveira has been on an incredible run himself with big wins abound and now he likely gets a chance to right a wrong in his next appearance.
Can't get enough boxing and MMA? Get the latest in the world of combat sports from two of the best in the business. Subscribe to Morning Kombat with Luke Thomas and Brian Campbell for the best analysis and in-depth news, including instant analysis of UFC 289 at the conclusion of the PPV event.
CBS Sports was with you throughout fight week with the latest news, in-depth features and betting advice to consider. Thanks for stopping by and we'll see you at UFC 290 in Las Vegas.
UFC 289 fight card, odds, results
- Amanda Nunes (c) def. Irene Aldana via unanimous decision (50-44, 50-44, 50-43)
- via first-round TKO (punches)
- Mike Malott def. Adam Fugitt via second-round submission (guillotine choke)
- Dan Ige def. Nate Landwehr via unanimous decision (30-27, 29-28, 29-28)
- Marc-Andre Barriault def. Eryk Anders via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Nassourdine Imavov vs. Chris Curtis ruled a no contest due to an accidental headbutt
- Jasmine Jasudavicius def. Miranda Maverick via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Aiemann Zahabi def. Aoriqileng via first-round knockout (punch)
- Kyle Nelson def. Blake Bilder via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 29-28)
- Steve Erceg def. David Dvorak via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 30-27)
- Diana Belbita def. Maria Oliveira via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 29-28)
UFC 289 countdown
- Mahjouri: before lengthy win streak