Hello and happy Wednesday, everyone. John Breech is busy camping outside of Bengals facilities advocating for the inevitable Joe Burrow extension (or at least we think he is), so you've got me, Cody Benjamin, to deliver all the latest from around the NFL.
This is the Pick Six newsletter. Now let's get to it. (And please, do yourself a favor and make sure you're signed up to receive this newsletter every day! You don't want to miss our daily offerings of everything you need to know around the NFL.)
We've got 2023 power rankings, bonus draft content, another Aaron Rodgers update in New York, and much more:
- Today's show: Brady Quinn on burning post-draft questions
John Breech and Katie Mox joined former NFL quarterback Brady Quinn on the latest "Pick Six NFL Podcast" to break down all kinds of burning post-draft questions. Some highlights:
- Brady explains why the Seahawks didn't prioritize adding a successor to Geno Smith, even while owning two top-20 picks
- The "Pick Six" crew assesses Brady's top 10 favorite picks of the draft, and his thoughts on the "reality-TV" format of the event
- Brady argues that Bryce Young is best-suited to "come out on top" among the rookie QBs, highlighting the offensive coaching infrastructure and veteran supporting cast in Carolina
Listen to the full episode (and subscribe for all kinds of daily NFL content) right here.
8. Jets (+9): They've made a big leap up these rankings after getting Aaron Rodgers. The talent is all over this roster, but now comes the tough part for the young guys, which is handling expectations.
14. Browns (+9): If Deshaun Watson can revert to his old form, they will be a major factor in the division race. He looked bad last year, which has to be concerning. They have done a nice job adding to the roster through the draft and free agency.
3. Randall Cobb reunites with Aaron Rodgers on Jets
The Green Bay exodus continues. Already this offseason, Rodgers has unofficially lured ex-Packers teammates Allen Lazard, Billy Turner and Tim Boyle to the Jets. Now, , agreeing Wednesday to a one-year deal with New York. The 32-year-old receiver joins a crowded group of pass catchers also including Lazard, ex-Chiefs starter Mecole Hardman and reigning Offensive Rookie of the Year Garrett Wilson. This is the second time he's reunited with Rodgers in the last two years, previously rejoining the Packers via trade with the Texans in 2021.
4. Predicting QB competitions: Three rookies set to start in 2023
Now that the draft is complete, most teams' quarterback situations are pretty clear for the upcoming season. But a few jobs are up for grabs. With that in mind, we surveyed all the likely summer competitions and:
- Buccaneers: Baker Mayfield over Kyle Trask
- Colts: Anthony Richardson over Gardner Minshew
- Commanders: Sam Howell over Jacoby Brissett
- 49ers: Brock Purdy over Trey Lance and Sam Darnold
- Patriots: Mac Jones over Bailey Zappe
NFL Draft expert Ryan Wilson has combed through every single pick in the 2023 draft and according to their respective draft classes. He's down on the Cowboys, who rank dead last in his ranking, as well as the Patriots and Texans. But he's a big fan of what happened in Green Bay, Indianapolis and Pittsburgh over draft weekend. The Steelers are the No. 1 team in his rundown, and they got special props for their surprise Day 2 selection of a certain tight end:
Darnell Washington was considered a top-45 pick throughout much of the draft process, but some medical concerns saw his stock take a hit. Put another way: the Steelers landed one of the freakiest athletes in this entire class -- as well as its best blocking tight end -- at the end of the third round.
6. Rapid-fire roundup: Best picks by all teams, Ruggs III pleads guilty, more
Hungry for more headlines? You came to the right place: